All three years of Catering College, Saturday and Biryani were synonymous to each other. Day was planned so that we are back in hostel for lunch or we leave after lunch. Saturday was the Biryani Day. I am sharing a recipe for Vegetable Dum Biryani. It is simple to make and with little practice it is easy to get it right.
- Long grained Basmati rice – 300 g
- Onion – 125 g
- Curd – 125 g
- Ginger paste – 20 g
- Garlic paste – 10 g
- Green chillies – 2 nos.
- Ginger – 15 g
- Cauliflower – 250 g
- Carrot – 100 g
- French beans – 50 g
- Green Peas – 50 g
- Cottage cheese – 75 g
- Saffron – few strands
- Milk – 50 ml
- Desi ghee – 50 g
- Red chilli powder – 5 g
- Yellow chilli powder – 2.5 g (1/2 tsp)
- Coriander powder – 10 g
- Roasted cumin powder – 5 g
- Rosewater (gulabjal) – 15 ml
- Fresh mint leaves – 15 g
- Green cardamom powder – 2.5 g (1/2 tsp)
- Mace powder (javitri) – 2.5 g (1/2 tsp)
- Salt – to taste
- Cloves – 5 nos.
- Black cardamom – 1 no.
- Cinnamon stick – 2”
- Bayleaf – 2 nos.
- Lemon – 1 no.
- Meetha Ittr – 1 drop
- Wash and soak rice. Good quality basmati rice should be soaked for a minimum of 15 minutes but usually not more than 30 minutes. Boil rice till 90% done and keep aside.
- Cut cauliflower into small florets, carrots and French beans into losange (diamonds) and cottage cheese into small dices.
- Finely chop green chillies, cut lemon into roundels and ginger into juliennes (thin matchsticks).
- Warm milk and add saffron to it. Leave it to infuse.
- Slice onion thinly. Deep fry 50 g thinly sliced onion until golden and crisp. Keep aside.
- Blanch the vegetables till the colour is bright and the vegetables are al dente (have a bite to them).
- Heat little ghee in a fry pan and add whole spices. Fry till they start to leave aroma.
- Add remaining onion, ginger paste, garlic paste, chopped green chillies and powdered spices, except green cardamom and mace powder (javitri-elaichi powder). Add salt. Fry till the onion is golden brown.
- Add curd, blanched vegetables and cottage cheese and continue to cook till the oil leaves the side.
- In a heavy-bottom pan put the remaining ghee. Add half the boiled rice. Add the vegetable and cottage cheese curry. Then add the remaining rice on top.
- Add saffron milk, mint leaves, javitri-elaichi powder, ginger juliennes, fried onion, roundels of lemon, rosewater and mitha Ittr on top.
- Put the lid on top and seal it with dough. Put the pan on hot tawa and put on dum.
- When the dough starts to break and steam starts coming out from cracks, the biryani is done. It normally takes around 10-15 minutes for this quantity. For better results put few pieces of burning charcoal on top of the lid while the biryani is on dum.
Good food is all about sharing. If you like this recipe please share it with your friends so that they may enjoy making and eating it too.